Tring Park

Covering over 100 hectares, Tring Park follows the Chiltern escarpment and offers magnificent views. The park contains a mixture of woodland and chalk grassland. Formerly the grounds of Tring House, the landscape of the park was created by James Gibbs in the early 18th century. Both the park and the mansion were owned by the Rothschilds between 1872 and the death of Walter Rothschild in 1937.

The parkland was split into two parts by the construction of the Tring bypass in 1973. Today the area to the south of the bypass is owned by Dacorum Borough Council and leased to the Woodland Trust who encourage visitors to enjoy quiet recreation.

Important features of Tring Park are the lime avenues through the park leading up to the mansion and the mixed woodland on the escarpment. Both of these, together with the grassland are actively managed by the Woodland Trust, including the preservation of remnant features of the ancient woodland and regeneration of native trees.

The underlying geology is principally chalk and where the soils are thinnest, chalk-loving plants such as Autumn Gentian continue to thrive. Higher on the ridge the chalk is buried under the deeper soils where clay and flints dominate.

Waymarked walks and excellent links to Tring and Wigginton make it easily accessible.

If you are walking in Tring Park, why not also visit Bull’s Wood which lies next to Tring Park and inspired artworks submitted in our 2008 Special Woods Art Competition.

HP23 6HZ
Accessibility/terrain/walk info

No sealed paths

Facilities & accessibility

Dogs allowed under supervision.

Nearest station Tring (30 minutes’ walk). Nearest parking in Tring or Wiggington (5 minutes’ walk).

More info